Run, Fat Chick, Run!
I run because I love to, not because I am good at it.
I was never a particularly athletic child. Though adventurous by nature, a general lack of coordination combined with a well fed love of reading kept me on the sidelines from the usual team sports like soccer and softball. I enjoyed playing basketball with friends but on the court, I was little more than flailing arms and legs. Phys Ed classes were always a nightmare to me. From volleyball to badminton, flag football to track, I just did not have what it took to be even moderately successful. And thus when I was offered the opportunity to run competitively in high school instead of attending three more years of Phys Ed, you better believe I empathically asked, “When do we start?” After all, how hard could it be? Harder than I thought but so much more fun than I ever imagined.
I have no tales of fantastic wins or accomplishments in Cross Country. I was not a fast runner. Efficient, yes but never fast. Pacing at 8 to 9 minutes, I was in the middle of the pack at best but more often than not, closer to the rear. Still, I lettered in the sport and even managed a personal best of 21 minutes on a 3 mile course in one of the last races of my senior year. I genuinely loved to run and continued to do so even after I graduated but as my adult life became filled with work, school, family (both canine and human) I stopped. It wasn’t a conscious decision but it is one that I regret. I decided to change that in March of 2011.
- Carson Safe & Sober 5K (04/09/11) :: 40:02 / 12:52 (Recap)
- Rock-N-River 5K (05/01/11) :: 37:13 / 11:58 (Recap)
- No Excuses 5K (05/30/11) :: 34:33 / 11.09 (Recap)
- Carson Valley Days 5.9mi (06/11/11) :: 70:43 / 11:59 (Recap)
- Moonlight Madness 5K (07/29/11) :: 37:47 / 12:10 (Recap)
- Oban Games Hill Race (08/25/11) :: 22:40 / 10:30
- Fight for Air 5K (09/11/11) :: 33:58 / 10:55 (Recap)
- Lake Tahoe 10K (09/25/11) :: 1:11:06 / 11:27 (Recap)
- Warror Dash (10/29/11)
- Anything is Possible 5K (11/06/11) :: 34:27 / 11:05 (Recap – Sort of…)
- Turkey Trot 10K (11/24/11) :: 1:10 / 11:17
- You Gotta Be Crazy 5K (02/19/12) :: 36:14 / 11:22 (Recap)
- Reno Gazette Journal Jog (09/16/12) :: 60:11 / 12:00 (Recap)
- Color Me Rad 5K (09/22/12) :: 38:33 / 12:24 (Recap)
- Half Moon Bay Half Marathon (09/23/12) :: 2:43:39 / 12:30 (Recap)
- Emerald Bay Half Marathon (09/28/12) :: 2:57:12 / 13:32 (Recap)
- Nevada Half Marathon (09/29/12) :: 3:12:37 / 14:42 (Recap)
- California International Marathon (12/02/12)
- Avenue of the Giants Marathon (05/05/13)