Happy Wednesday

What do you mean it is ONLY Wednesday?  It feels like Friday of next week.  Suffice to say, I have been busy.  I know, I know.  I’m always busy, you say.  That means that when I say I have been busy, I have been super ultra scary busy.  Some of it has been stressful (like finally wrapping up that research paper at 1 am only to realize that I left the data required for that one last graph in my office).  Some of it has been a lot of fun (like downing three bottles of wine with the boy at the lake).

Here is a not so brief overview:

On Saturday morning I coached flyball practice, mixing it up and pushing dogs and humans a like to dig deep (Thanks, Insanity for that one!).  Of course, what I didn’t count on was the fact that I as the coach would actually run twice as much as everyone.  I burned a lot of calories and was dripping with sweat during our three hour work out.

After practice, I took Isabella for a run down by the lake.  It’s more of an overgrown pond, but given that Nevada is nothing more than a giant expanse of desert, any collection of water larger than a puddle next to the dog bowl constitutes a lake in these here parts.  Regardless of the actual volume of water, she and I both had a good time and I got a few more miles in.

My little dork, Isabella

Now, one would think that after spending 6 hours of intensive physical activity I would be ready for a nice quiet evening at home, right?  Wrong.  Google Calendar was kind enough to remind me that the Battle Born Derby Demons had a home bout downtown.  While I still can’t skate counterclockwise under the disco ball without rampant waves of vertigo and the occasional seizure (but I’m getting better!), the boy and I have mad love for the derby girls.  They skated hard but the Berkeley Resistance crushed them.  We still had a lot of fun.  The beer was cheap, the food was good, the music was great and of course the hip checks were fantastic.

I also discovered there is such a thing as Hello Kitty duck tape.  I need a roll or twelve.

Hell to the yeah!

Sunday morning, I crawled out of bed several hours before dawn and loaded three of the dogs into a teammate’s car and we made a very uneventful caffeine filled five hour drive to a dock jumping competition.  The jumping amongst our veteran competitors was good but nothing exceptional or unexpected.  Apparently we were saving all that excitement for Isabella’s debut.  My tiny little puppy made her debut with a tiny little jump of 2’4”.  I don’t care how short it was because that jump was legit.  She was confident, she was enthusiastic and she immediately got back up on the dock and did it over and over and over and over again!  Yup.  I have another dock jumper.  Whoop!

Isabella makes a leap for it!

After collecting our winnings (Smokey placed fourth in the final and Corrigan got beat by three of his kids which thrilled me to no end!), we started the long drive home.  I fell into my bed at 1 AM Monday morning, woke up at 6 AM and headed into work for a very long day.  It was the kind of day that starts at 7 AM and ends somewhere around 1 or 2 AM the following day.  I spent my lunch break reading technical papers, nibbling on a nectarine and downing chocolate milk while using highlighters of virtually every size and color.

It felt just a little bit too much like being back in school.  Note, APA citations never go out of style and graph color selection is just as critical as semi color placement.    The only work out I had was walking back and forth to the cappuccino machine in the kitchen.

I was back in the office yesterday morning before dawn, up to my eyeballs in sugar free energy drinks and a chocolate croissant.  And post-it notes.  What did we do before post-it notes?  My office life was just as busy as the day before, though much praise was handed out for my apparent over achievement in local economic outlook narratives.  Score.  My efforts were rewarded with an early out since it was my birthday and all.  Score again.

I rolled into the house at 3, whipped up a batch of oddly flat and crispy peanut butter cookies while catching up on “Bridezillas” then decided that despite my lack of sleep and several days of non-stop activity that this would be the perfect time for me to do the fitness test for Insanity.  Why not?  I had time to work out before my next adventure and it was still too hot to run outside.  Just do it!

And so I did.  The fitness test actually went surprisingly well.  I’ve lost a little power in my squat thrusts and I realized that I really need to do a lot of work on my power jumps, but apparently all those months of Kaia FIT combined with other forms of cross training have stuck with me.  More importantly, I had a lot of fun.  The work out reminded me so much of my fitness boot camp days.  I loved the challenge then and I love the challenge even more now.  We’ll see just how excited I am after tonight’s work out, but my initial impression is that this is going to be fun.

After pushing myself into a hot sweaty mess, I hopped in the shower and packed up a few bottles of wine.  The boy surprised me with tickets to Shakespeare at the Lake for my birthday.  I absolutely love heading up to Sand Harbor at Lake Tahoe with a few bottles of wine and warm blankets to watch Shakespeare lakeside under the stars.

This isn’t the greatest photo of the stage, but the lake is literally right behind it. How fabulous is this?

Last night’s production was “Two Gentlemen of Verona.”  It was smartly directed and a very fun interpretation.  Plus, Mike the Dog pretty much stole the show.  It was a wonderful way to celebrate my birthday.  Much love to the boy!

By the way, did you know that the President of the United States came to see me for my birthday?  Okay, he was really here speaking at a local college but that sort of counts, right?  It doesn’t?  Really?  At least I didn’t come out of my office to find a black helicopter in my parking space (and my car missing).  And because I didn’t actually walk into the wrong place at the wrong time without clearance for what felt like the tenth time, I consider it all good.  You see, there is a lot of planning that goes into a presidential visit.  The problem is, no one ever bothers to tell the analyst who walks in that door every single day that we have a special guest arriving in that locale so perhaps I should relocate myself.   Other than making the boy and I arrive 45 minutes later than planned for Shakespeare, it was a very pleasant visit considering my past near run ins.

After all the wine and Shakespeare and presidential motorcade and the like, I was finally asleep at 2 AM.  Alarm went off at 6 AM, I crawled out of bed and started all over again.  I think the 33 miles planned for this weekend are going to be the nice and relaxing part of my week!